Saturday, August 3, 2013

Media Roundup 1

Instead of watching/reading/playing stuff and commenting on it a while later, or giving big, long, “first impressions” posts on everything, I think I’m just going to do start doing “Media Roundups,” where I briefly touch on all the media I’m in the midst of consuming, as well as a few brief opinions. Sort of a “recommendations” sort of thing.

Siberia

If you couldn’t tell from my prior two posts on it, I’ve been fanboying over NBC’s Siberia so hard lately. It’s got the mystery of LOST with better pacing, and the supernatural horror feel of something like the Slender Man Mythos or the Blair Witch project. It’s also got a great cast that seems to really care about the show. Basically, it gave me something I could fanboy over when I really needed it. I’ve called it “the best show you’re not watching,” and I stand by that assessment. If you haven’t already checked it out, do so.

A Song of Ice and Fire

After watching season 1 of A Game of Thrones, I decided to give the books a try. I’ve been listening to them on audiobook and am currently about 2/3 of the way through book 2, A Clash of Kings. I thought the series was pretty good but overhyped from S1, but when I started listening to the audiobooks…there was just something about them that was so much better, despite the TV show being one of the more faithful adaptations of anything I’ve seen (though I’ve heard S2 deviates). There’s just something about the writing that’s so wonderful and enjoyable, and I’m so upset I haven’t gotten into the series until now.

The Walking Dead

I’m speaking about the Telltale Games video game here. I’ve finished episode four of five right now, and it has been one heck of a roller coaster ride. I haven’t enjoyed later installments as much as the first couple, but they haven’t been bad, and those first two managed to singlehandedly restore my faith in zombie stories, convincing me try to restart my ZombieCon ‘18 project.

Attack on Titan

I haven’t been watching this anime as much as I’d have liked to, because it just…hasn’t interested me that much. The first episodes really hammered me over the head with “the world sucks and there’s nothing you can do about it,” and when things started to get more hopeful, the pacing started slowing down. I’m not sure if I like it yet, and I’m a bit behind at the moment, but I’ll probably be seeing it through to the end.

Tiger and Bunny

I’d had this anime recommended to me, and I decided to check it out as the dub aired on Hulu. I think it’s a great dub, but the show itself is pretty average. It’s got an average premise, average characters, an average plotline…it’s pretty solid and there’s nothing bad about it. I’m just having a hard time finding anything about it that stands out.

Free!

Ah, Kyoto Animation. Animators of anime like Haruhi Suzimiya, K-On, Chuunibyou demo…um, demo gata shitai de la…um…let’s go with “Chuu2,” which seems to be the most common abbreviation. Basically, lots of slice-of-life shows that are pretty to look at but kind of boring in actuality. Free! seems to be following suit, though it does have two things going for it. First, it’s a genderflip of their normal work. Instead of cute high school girls, all the protagonists are cute high school boys (or so I assume). Second, it’s a show about swimming that serves largely just to show how well KyoAni can animate water. They can animate water beautifully. It’s an amusing diversion right now, but I’m not expecting much more from it.

Etrian Odyssey IV

This is a pretty basic dungeon crawling RPG, but it’s fun. It’s neat that they make you draw your own map, actually, and the combat’s pretty entertaining. I dunno. I’m having a hard time putting my finger on what’s good about it, but it’s challenging and keeping me entertained, so I’m not complaining.

Shin Megami Tensei IV

Kind of similar to Etrian Odyssey IV, though it’s got some gameplay differences and seems to be more plot-driven. A lot of people are apparently fans of this franchise, and I have yet to see the appeal, but I’m also not too far into it yet. I’m still giving it the benefit of the doubt.

The Awesomes

Saw this on Hulu and it looked interesting. There are only two episodes so far, but it certainly does seem promising. It’s funny, even if not in a laugh-out-loud way, and the pilot implied that there’s an end goal they’re building up to, so I’m looking forward to it being a story-driven comedy instead of an episodic one. Not many of those, really.

One Piece

Last one. Just a brief mention that I finished the Thriller Bark arc. Gotta say, it’s not one of my favorite arcs, though it’s one of the funnier ones and it seems like it’s setting up a lot of things that are going to be important really soon.

Well, that’s all for this roundup! I’ll be sure to post more as I consume more media!

No comments:

Post a Comment