Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Warrior, Wizard Status Update #2

Well, as you may have guessed, I was unable to finish WW this November.  It’s probably not even going to be finished this December.  However, I’m making more progress. 

I’ve finished all the “past” scenes, save for one that I might edit out completely (Alera’s Class I ceremony) because I’ve already written a similar scene (her Class III ceremony) and it may end up becoming fairly redundant.  At the moment, I’m in the process of writing the opening scene, which I’ll put on the blog as a preview when I finish with it.

Warrior, Wizard continues to be something of a struggle, but I think I’m finally getting into the flow of things.  Jaren and Alera’s characters are slowly starting to come together a bit more and I feel more comfortable writing them.  The writing still feels like a trainwreck, of course, but hopefully a rewrite will change that.  Who knows, maybe I’ll just alternate between writing the “forwards” scenes and rewriting the “backwards” scenes I’ve already written.

My plans now are less “try to get it published as a short story” and more “publish it as an e-book and see how that goes.”  While I would have loved to get it published by an actual publisher so that I could attach a name to it, I’m far more likely to find an audience on Kindle and Nook than to find anyone who’d publish this story (currently around 10,000 words).

While I haven’t had a lot of time to actually sit down and write or the ability to make much progress when I do, I have been working some on the world.  I’ve been trying to develop some characters from other guilds that we only get passing glances at, work on bits of the setting that are only implied, and develop races and other things that don’t feature prominently in the story.  I’d really like to revisit this world after I’m done with this story.  Maybe not write big, multi-volume stories in it like most writers.  Just write shorter stories, unconnected except for a few events that tie the world together.  Kind of like Terry Pratchett’s Discworld novels, only shorter and not actually anything like Discworld.

Anyway, that’s the status on WW so far.  I’ll put up the opening scene when I finish it.  Look forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment