Monday, November 19, 2012

Anime First Impressions: The World God Only Knows

Who doesn't love dating sims?

What?  Lots of people?  Okay, that's fair.  But one the people who doesn't love dating sims isn't Keima Katsuragi.  Keima is a dating sim-obsessed sixteen-year-old boy who is known as "The God of Conquest" on the Internet.  There is no dating sim he cannot beat.  No heroine he cannot conquer.  No challenge that he cannot overcome.

Oh, and also, he doesn't even look twice at real girls.

Yes, Keima states that "reality is a crappy game."  Which is unfortunate for him, considering that he ends up accepting a contract with a cute little demon girl to help capture "loose souls" around the city by entering girls hearts to replace the evil spirits.  The boy who won't look twice at a girl now has to make them fall in love with him.

It's difficult to say how exactly I feel about this show after the first four episodes.  When I heard the concept, I was intrigued and wanted to check it out.  However, it actually seems kind of generic.  While I'm enjoying it, it's just doesn't really have that spark I'm looking for.  The characters aren't particularly memorable, it's not particularly clever, not particularly funny, and not particularly deep.  It's a nice little parody of dating sim tropes, yes, and I like watching how he figures out how to "win" each girl's "route," but I guess I just expected more from it.

It's not bad so far.  I don't know if it'll get better, but I'm going to keep watching for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment