Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Project: Don't Shoot The Messenger Visual Novel

As some of you reading this might know, I wrote a blog called "Don't Shoot The Messenger," set in the Slender Man Mythos.  Basically, it was about an man trying to find who he was and where he fit in the organization he was part of.  I'm not going to really elaborate since those of you who know about it have read it, those who care enough will read it, and those who don't care enough probably won't even read this post.

Anyway, a bit ago, a friend of mine was playing Katawa Shoujo, which is an absolutely amazing visual novel with a terrible premise (dating sim/H-game about disabled girls developed by members of 4chan).  And then I thought back to DSTM and remembered how, early on, there were a few parts of the story that would be affected by how people shipped certain characters.  I jokingly tossed the idea of a DSTM dating sim around.

And then I thought a bit harder, and realized something.

While the Messenger was the narrator of DSTM, Poe was arguably the main character.  Most of the plot involved her somehow.  Unfortunately, due to her quiet nature and the Messenger's reluctance to go into great detail about his life, there was a lot of depth to her character that didn't see the light of day.  And many of the alternate story paths we were considering featured her.

So I figured, instead of making a dating sim as a joke, I could make a serious story told from Poe's perspective.  It would rehash some of the events of DSTM, expand the world some, and explore the story paths we didn't take.  And with those branching paths, a visual novel would actually be the best medium to tell Poe's story

And now...well, I'm stuck on the idea.  Even started writing some of it up.  It's not going to be easy, of course.  I have no clue who I'm going to get for an artist, and even less of a clue who's going to do the music (if I even include it).  AJ (Poe's author) insists on being involved.

So yeah.  A lot to do.  I have no clue what I've gotten myself into.

No comments:

Post a Comment